Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Perspectives

I must admit that I have the tendency to let small things bother me a whole lot more than they should.  This is something I have been trying to work on and it takes events like the one I experienced tonight to remind me that I should sweat the small stuff in life.

For some reason, I volunteered to decorate two sheet cakes for our annual Valentine's dance at school.  I have been dreading doing this because I have a lot on my plate right now.  I was in the middle of making the icing for them about 5 o'clock this evening when my cell phone rang.  I immediately washed my hands, and seeing that it was a co-worker and friend of mine, John, I answered it.  I figured it was something about the after school program that we do together, but when I answered the phone I knew something was wrong.  He told me that his best friend, Josh, who is also a co-worker had been in a terrible accident where he was ejected from his vehicle and was airlifted to the hospital.  He told me to start praying and I told him to keep me posted.  After hanging up, I immediately lifted Josh up in prayer and with knots in my stomach waited for John to call me back when he had any further information.  Thirty minutes later John texted me to let me know Josh was talking and all vitals were good.  He then called me and told me that Josh has a broken hip, was very sore, and has a long recovery ahead of him.  We talked about how God was watching over Josh and we praised the Lord His protection.

The events of tonight have really made me realize that I let small, trivial things in life bother me and thus, I lose focus on the important things in my life.  Life is so precious and no one is guaranteed tomorrow.  While I am still hurting for Josh and the recovery he has ahead of him, I thank God that He was there in this situation.  I also praise God that he used Josh's wreak the remind me that I need to let the small things go and be thankful for what He has given me.   I even praise him for the ability to decorate cakes for a middle school dance. ;)

No comments: