Monday, January 25, 2010

2 Year Evaluation

Makenna had her 2 year assessment tonight with our Parents As Teachers educator, Jill.  She did outstanding--she didn't get a perfect only because she refused to draw a straight line on a piece of paper even though she is fully capable of doing so.  Jill was amazed at Makenna's talking, vocabulary, letter recgonition  and couldn't believe she is fully potty trained.  At this age, most kids are saying two to three word phrases.  Makenna says complete, complex sentences.  Needless to say, Justin and I are very proud of our little girl.  Jill also helped ease my worries about Makenna not doing things, such as counting, singing her ABC's, etc. when asked to do so.  She explained that she sees this a lot in kids who tend to be perfectionists (I don't know where Makenna got that from) because they are afraid to make mistakes.  I completely understand this because she was completely describing me.  While I know I can't change how my child is wired, I will now try to do all I can to teach Makenna that is okay to make mistakes and encourage her to not be afraid to do things because she is fearful of not being perfect. 

No comments: