Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You Will Be Missed, Grandma

My last remaining grandparent, Grandma Drake, went to her new home with the Lord early yesterday morning.  While our hearts are very sad, we are also rejoicing knowing that Grandma's body is now healed and she is able to walk and talk again without pain.  I am thankful for all the memories I have of her, including all the weekend fishing trips we took together over to the pond on the farm, the yummy homemade meals she spent hours in the kitchen preparing, especially her noodles and pies, the stories she told about the days she and Grandpa ran the dairy and she drove the milk truck around town delivering milk, and many, many more.  She will be remembered by all for her spunky personality and wit and I am thankful she was able to keep her fun-loving spirit up until her final days. 

I am glad that she didn't have to suffer too long after her two strokes because I know that is not the way she wanted to live.  I will never forget the last two times I visited her because while she couldn't speak to me, I know she knew who I was and I was able to share a few last laughs and smiles with her.

I am also thankful that Makenna was able to meet her because I never knew any of my great-grandparents and Makenna will carry a few memories of her as well, especially the rides Grandma took her on in her Jazzy chair. 

We love you, Grandma and look forward to seeing you again someday.  Until then please watch over us and keep us in line just like you did down here!

 Grandma and me 
The entire family except Aunt Sue

A picture I will always cherish--it was the first time Grandma met Makenna 

No comments: