Friday, October 1, 2010

We Made It

I know if you are reading this you are wondering what the title of this post means.  Well, it means we made it to October, so our little man will definitely be born sometime this month.  This has been a bit of a joke between Justin and I because of my Mother's Day gift from him this year.  A month AFTER Makenna was born he bought me a beautiful garnet ring, which is her birthstone.  He had plans of doing this for each of our children, but not until after each child was born.  Being the jewelry fanatic I am, I began casually looking for a ring of Baby #2's birthstone.  Naturally since Baby #2 (at the time we didn't even know the gender) was due in mid to late October I looked at October birthstones.  Which, as a side note, did you know there are 4 different birthstones for this month?  Crazy, huh?  Anyways, I found a few opal rings I liked and Justin knew which ones they were.  He thought it would be a nice Mother's Day gift for me so he purchased my favorite ring in May (and I might add he got an AMAZING deal on it) and it never occurred to him that there was a possibility that the baby wouldn't be born in October. So, since then I have teased him that if the baby came early he would just have to get me a sapphire ring.  But I guess that won't be the case, which is fine with me. 

Another funny thing about the above story is that Justin didn't even know of the great deal he got on the ring.  After he gave me the gift, he gave me the receipt in case we ever needed it.  He always does this because I am better at putting things in places where they can be easily found if needed.  He gave me the receipt and my jaw immediately dropped.  He asked if something was wrong and I asked him if he realized what he paid for the ring.  He said no, I just handed them my card--typical man.  At this point, I would have given him my lecture about always looking at your receipt and knowing what you have paid before leaving the store, etc., but I was too amazed at the price he paid for the ring.  I guess the ring was on sale plus Justin had received a coupon in the mail for his next purchase at this particular jewelers that they let him us.  Needless to say, that with additional amount for the protection plan on the ring, Justin paid 1/3 of the original price of the ring.  I still laugh about this story to his day because Justin had no clue the deal he got on the ring.  But I am very grateful that I now have two rings, each one that represents my two children.  Makenna likes looking at the rings.  She knows that one is "hers", one is "Beckham's", and she tells me my wedding rings and bands are "Daddy's."  I guess she is right and I wear all three proudly to remember the wonderful family God has blessed me with.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Aww...Justin. So glad you've got the right birthstone now! Let me just tell you, Nick just did that with a purchase (meaning he didn't pay attention to the amount he was being charged...and it wasn't quite the same result! he got charged about 3x what he was expecting! Needless to say we had a small discussion after that!)

Love ya girl...see you Sunday!

CAC said...

what a great story! love it! now i want to see pics of these rings!